Grid ref: TL 525 184 (click for o/s map)
Mouse over links for pictures; click for detail page.
Wall Wood was one of Hatfield Forest's 'purlieu woods', which were associated with the Forest but not entirely part of it. Owned by the Essex & Puckeridge Hunt, it was given to the National Trust in 1946. It has many ancient coppiced trees and, in the more open parts, good ground flora – carpets of dog's mercury, patches of bluebells and a scattering of primroses
Turn south off the B1256 (Bishop's Stortford–Takeley) in Takely Street, about 3 miles east of M11 junction 8.
Buses run to Takeley Street from Bishop's Stortford and Braintree/Dunmow: get off at Green Man PH.
Accessible at all times.
March to see the golden mistletoe stems on the trees in the plains; May for birdsong and spring flowers; July for butterflies in the open areas and along the rides.